Mathematics 3 ESO – Unit 1 (REAL NUMBERS) Page 11 – Activity 58
1) Complete “factor/multiple”:
- a) 5 is a ___________ of 35
- b) 16 is a ___________ of 2
- c) 105 is a ___________ of 3
- d) 6 is a ___________ of 54
- e) 10 is a ___________ of 100
- f) 100 is a ___________ of 10
2) Watch the video on “Standard index form” and answer:
a) What did Archimedes calculate?
b) Who came up with a good way to write numbers that are really big or really small? How did he call it?
c) Can the number before that multiplies the power be 10? Can it be greater than 10?
d) When is the exponent positive? And when is it negative?
e) How do we find the value of the exponent in very large numbers?
f) How do we find the value of the exponent in very small numbers?
g) When doing calculations with Standard form, what rules do we use?
h) If when multiplying the numbers before the exponents we get a number equal or greater than 10… What do we do?
- 2ˑ103 ˑ 6.5ˑ106
- 79ˑ10-3 ˑ 5.2ˑ10-9
- 12ˑ10-3 ˑ 4.8ˑ107