Mathematics 4 ESO – Unit 1 REAL NUMBERS extra activities
1 – Watch the video on “Introduction to Real Numbers” and answer:
- a) What is the difference between “Natural Numbers” and “Whole Numbers”
- b) What type of number is 1/2 ?
- c) What type of numbers can’t be written as a fraction?
- d) Before we classify √25, should we simplify it? Why? What type of number is it?
2 – Watch the video on “What are Real Numbers?” and answer:
- a) What is a “Real Number”?
- b) What types of numbers are there?
- c) What two categories comprise “Real Numbers?
3 – Watch the video on “Real Numbers – Categories!” and answer:
- a) What is an “Irrational Number”?
- b) What is a “non-integer”?
- c) What category are the “fractions with denominator as 1”?
- d) Write the “letter names” of the different categories.
- e) What type of number is √-9?
4 – Watch the video on “Intervals and the Real Number Line” and answer:
- a) Why do we put arrows on the left and the right of the number line?
- b) If we plot numbers 8 and 2 on the number line:
- I) Which is more to he right? Why?
- II) What is the “distance” or “interval” between them? Why?
- c) If we use “filled in dots” to graph an interval, what kind of interval is it?
- d) When do we use “parenthesis” in the notation of the interval?
- e) What is a “half-open interval”?
- f) What is an “unbounded interval”?
- g) Graph these intervals:
- I) [0,4]
- II) (-2,1)
- III) [3,5)