Mathematics 4 ESO – Unit 12 COMBINATORICS AND PROBABILITY extra activities
1 – Watch the video on “Fundamental Counting Principle” and answer:
- a) How do we calculate the total possible outcomes?
- b) Why does she have 3 · 2 possible dinners?
- c) How many possible ways could she make her dinner if she had two types of pasta and four types of sauce?
- d) In the tree diagram for the family, why are there three columns?
- e) In the tree diagram for the family, why n=2 ?
- f) How many possible outcomes would there be if the family had four children?
- g) Solve: Jimmy has two pairs of shoes, three trousers and five different shirts. How many different ways can he get dressed?
2 – Watch the video on “Permutations” and answer:
- a) In how many ways can we arrange the order of letters A and B?
- b) In how many ways can we arrange the order of letters A, B, C and D?