Technology 1-2 ESO – Unit 11 NON-RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY extra activities
1 – The text on contains words that are the names of some fossil fuels. Click on the names of the fossil fuels, then check if they are correct:
2 – Watch the video on “Nuclear Reaction” and answer:
- a) What is nuclear fission?
- b) What happens when a neutron travelling with enough velocity collides with an uranium 235 nucleus?
- c) What is necessary for the reaction to be “self-sustaining”?
3 – Watch the video on “Coal” and answer:
- a) What is coal made of?
- b) How was coal made?
- c) What is anthracite?
- d) How is coal extracted from the earth?
- e) How is coal converted to electricity?
- f) What are the concerns with coal?
- g) Why is coal so polluting?
4 – Watch the video on “Oil” and answer:
- a) What is oil made of?
- b) How was oil made?
- c) How is oil extracted from the earth?
- d) What happens in the refinery?
- e) What are the uses of oil?
- f) What are the concerns with oil?
5 – Watch the video on “Natural gas” and answer:
- a) What is natural gas made of?
- b) How was natural gas made?
- c) What is “wet gas”?
- d) What is “associated gas”?
- e) What are four steps to remove impurities?
- f) In what two ways does natural gas contribute to climate change?
6 – Fill the crossword with words about drawing tools and basic techniques.