Technology 1-2 ESO – Unit 12 RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY extra activities
1 – In the following list there are two things that affect the amount of electricity produced by a hydroelectric dam. Select the correct answers and explain why you think they are correct:
- a) The height of the dam.
- b) The width of the dam.
- c) The dam is in a windy location.
- d) The amount of water flowing in the river.
2 – In the following list there are two things that affect the amount of hot water produced by a solar collector. Select the correct answers and explain why you think they are correct:
- a) The size of the house.
- b) If it is day or night.
- c) The size of the collector.
- d) The distance from a river.
3 – Watch the video on “How does a wind turbine work?” and answer:
- a) What is the function of the “wind vane”?
- b) What moves the blades?
- c) The video says that the blades can be “as long as 60 m each”, but there are now wind turbines with larger blades, research and find how long are the largest blades today.
- d) Why the turbine stops spinning when there are strong winds?
- e) What is the mission of the gear box?
- f) What shaft moves the generator?
- g) What is the function of the transformer and also of the substation?
4 – Watch the video on “Photovoltaic Solar Cell” and answer:
- a) What are the parts of a “solar cell”?
- b) What happens when the photons go to the cell?