Technology 1-2 ESO – Unit 13 THERMAL MACHINES extra activities
1 – Watch the video on “How Do Steam Locomotives Work – Steam Engines Explained” and answer:
- a) What are the two things that a steam locomotive needs?
- b) What two people run the steam locomotive?
- c) What is around the “firetubes”? Why?
- d) What is the function of the safety valve?
- e) Where are the pistons?
- f) Why the pistons move?
- g) Why the wheels move?
- h) What is the function of the “slide valve”?
- i) What happens to the used steam?
2 – Watch the video on “How Jet Engines Work” and answer:
- a) How do birds fly?
- b) What is the “thrust”?
- c) What happens to the air in the compressor?
- d) What happens to the mix of air and fuel in the combustor?
- e) Why does the shaft connected to the fan spin?
- f) Why we put a gear in the engine?
3 – Watch the video on “4 Stroke Engine Working Animation” and answer:
- a) What are the basic components of a 4 stroke gas engine?
- b) Why a four stroke engine is called “four stroke”?
- c) What happens in the “intake stroke”?
- d) What happens in the “combustion stroke”?
- e) What are the RPM?