Technology 1-2 ESO – Unit 7 METALS extra activities
1 – There is an animation that shows how a blast furnace produces pig iron.
- Click on “Launch the animation”.
- Click on “start” and watch how the coke (special coal for steel production), the iron ore and the air go in. Also how the slag and the pig iron exit.
- Click on “Build It”. A virtual teacher asks you questions. With every right answer you construct a part of the blast furnace.
- Continue with the activity until you construct the furnace.
2 – Watch the video on “Uses Of Metals – Gold, Copper, Aluminium, Steel” and answer:
- a) Why do we use copper for water pipes?
- b) Why do we use copper for electric wires?
- c) Why do we use aluminium for the bodies of planes?
- d) Is Iron a weak or a strong metal?
- e) What happens to iron when we mix it with carbon?
3 – Watch the video on “smelting copper and tin” and answer:
- a) What is “malachite” and where can we find it?
- b) What tool used the first miners?
- c) As well as copper, what else contains “malachite”?
- d) What is “smelting”?
- e) What material was the furnace made of?
- f) How many types of atoms are in a pure element?